The following article will get your Fritschle Communications email account setup in Outlook 2010 using an IMAP or POP connection. I recommend using IMAP.
What is IMAP?
IMAP is an E-mail protocol that is used when people wish to always have their messages, including sent messages and message folders, saved on the server. Depending on program configuration, these messages may be temporarily saved on the computer for offline viewing. All messages and folders can be viewed from any computer connecting via IMAP, including Webmail. This option is most recommended for users who connect to E-mail accounts from many computers.
What is POP
POP, also known as POP3, is an E-mail protocol that is used when people wish to have a copy of their E-mail messages, along with any attachments, to be downloaded to their computer for viewing. Depending on program configuration, these messages may be automatically deleted from the server once it is received, or at some future time. Messages sent, moved, or deleted from a computer using POP can only be viewed on that individual computer's folders. They cannot be viewed on other computers connecting to that E-mail account, including Webmail. This option is most recommended for users who like to keep a backup of all their messages.
Let's take a look at the steps below on how to configure your account:
1. Let's go ahead and open up Outlook, select Tools, Account Settings on the Email tab, and then click the New button.
2. If prompted, be sure that the Microsoft Exchange, POP3, IMAP, or HTTP box is checked, and click the Next button. Select the Manually configure server settings or additional server types check box and click the Next button.
3. Be sure that the Internet E-mail radio button is selected, and click the Next button and enter in the following information in the fields provided:
Your Name - This is the name that will appear in the From field of messages you send.
Account Type - Select IMAP from the drop-down menu. If using POP3, see note below.
Incoming mail server - Enter the following: secure.emailsrvr.com
Outgoing mail server (SMTP) - Enter in the following: secure.emailsrvr.com
Password - Enter in the password for the account you're setting up.
Note: If using POP3, select POP3 in account type, then use mail.yourdomain.com for both the incoming and outgoing servers.
4. Click the More Settings button, then click the Outgoing Server tab and select the My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication check box. Leave the default setting "Use same settings as my incoming mail."
5. Click the Advanced tab, In both of the Use the following type of encrypted connection drop-down menus, select SSL. For the Incoming Server port enter in (993) and in the Outgoing Server port enter in (465).
6. Click the OK button, click the Next button, click the Finish button and then click the Close button. That's it. you're all done!
Folders should sync automatically with an IMAP account; however, if for any reason they aren't, perform the following steps:
1. Select your Inbox or top level folder of your Fritschle Communications email account and select IMAP Folders and then Query.
2. Select any folder you would like to be subscribed to by right-clicking and selecting Subcribe. Repeat these steps for all folders you would like to be subscribed to.
3. To Unsubscribe to any folders, repeat the following steps and select Unsubscibe instead.
Note: If you've created any new folders through webmail and they aren't displaying, right-click on your Inbox or top level folder of your Fritschle Communications email account and select Update Folder List.