The following article will show you how to setup your Fritschle Communications Email account using your Mac Mail email client using an IMAP or POP connection. I recommend using IMAP.
What is IMAP?
IMAP is an E-mail protocol that is used when people wish to always have their messages, including sent messages and message folders, saved on the server. Depending on program configuration, these messages may be temporarily saved on the computer for offline viewing. All messages and folders can be viewed from any computer connecting via IMAP, including Webmail. This option is most recommended for users who connect to E-mail accounts from many computers.
What is POP
POP, also known as POP3, is an E-mail protocol that is used when people wish to have a copy of their E-mail messages, along with any attachments, to be downloaded to their computer for viewing. Depending on program configuration, these messages may be automatically deleted from the server once it is received, or at some future time. Messages sent, moved, or deleted from a computer using POP can only be viewed on that individual computer's folders. They cannot be viewed on other computers connecting to that E-mail account, including Webmail. This option is most recommended for users who like to keep a backup of all their messages.
Let's take a look at the steps below on how to configure your account:
1. First thing you'll want to do is open up Mac Mail and select File and Add Account. If this is the first time Mac Mail has been used, the setup assistant will appear.
2. Enter the following information:
3. Click the Continue button and Enter the following information:
4. Click the Continue button and Mac Mail will now attempt to detect the incoming server settings. If the Incoming Mail Security window appears, do the following and click Continue.
5. Enter the following information:
6. Click the Continue button and Mac Mail will now attempt to detect the outgoing server settings. If the Outgoing Mail Security window appears, do the following and you're finished!
Using IMAP Folders:
To simplify the organization of your messages, you can indicate which IMAP folders Mac Mail should use to store sent mail, drafts, spam, and trash.
1. Select Mail / Preferences, click the Accounts button, located at the top of the window and click once on your IMAP account, as it appears in the Accounts list.
2. Click the Mailbox Behaviors tab, clear all of the check boxes and close the Accounts window.
3. When prompted to save your changes, click the Save button.
4. In your IMAP folder, located in the Mailboxes pane (select View / Show Mailboxes to display the pane if it’s not there), do the following:
5. The selected folder will disappear from your IMAP list, and will now reappear as the corresponding Mac Mail folder.